Join me as I embrace and share American country style by reclaiming the past...my family's past. Come along as I make my house a home on a $0 budget with reclaimed, repurposed, recycled and found treasures all out of my grandparents' old house, local junk shops and my parents' attic. And since we have to eat too, I'll sprinkle in some gardening, country recipes, and a whole lot of southern hospitality.

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Blue Willow for St. Patrick...

It's time to bring out the Blue Willow again! You all know I like it so much and use it with every holiday.  For "Tablescape Thursday" I am bringing it out for St. Patrick's Day. 


My motto is "use what you have" so I shopped the house and my mom's house for some accessories.


Let's get down to business! I love blue and green together. It all started with these placemats I bought at Pier 1 in Alexandria, Va., in the mid-90s.  It was Spring and I was just looking around. There were some beautiful displays in the store with these colors and they were calling my name. Now, I am not really a "blue" person, but I thought the combination would be great with the Blue Willow. And, best of all, it is a combination inspired by nature! I took this photo in San Juan, Puerto Rico near "El Morro." Is there anything more beautiful than that gorgeous azure sky and ocean next to the green grass? 


I digress! Back to the frozen late winter of North Carolina...


The hydrangeas are from my mother's garden and just bring it all together for me so nicely.  


I used my Mikasa "Italian Countryside" dinner plates for chargers. This pattern is so versatile, I use it with pretty much anything. I added my great grandmother's Blue Willow plates and bowls made by Royal China. The bread plates are Johnson Brothers, and the coffee cups and saucers are by Churchill. I found this ribbon and lace in a bag of trim my grandmother had and thought it would be perfect with these blue napkins instead of traditional napkin rings. 


For a runner I brought out the same vintage cocktail napkins I used with the espresso set last week. I just had to use them!


These little blue votive holders are all from the late 90s also.


I brought out my Churchill coffee pot for after-dinner coffee and paired it with the cream and sugar made by Royal China, and a tray I bought in Japan.







There you have the age-old "Blue Willow" for yet another holiday! I think the woven placemats give it a more casual, contemporary flair. This is such a versatile pattern that really just goes with anything and is perfect for any occasion whether casual or more formal. 

Thank you SO much for stopping by:-) I hope you find something you can take with you to make your house a home. Your comments mean so much to me, and lead me to the wonderful ideas I get from you. Have a lovely St. Patrick's Day!

Be sure to go over to see Susan at "Between Naps on the Porch" for fabulous tables and other great ideas!

Anita


Cream dinnerplates: Mikasa "Italian Countryside"
Blue Willow plates and bowls: Royal China
Blue Willow cups, saucers, S&P and coffee pot: Churchill
Blue Willow B&B plates: Johnson Brothers
Blue stemware: Walmart/Belks
Placemats/napkins: Pier 1 years ago
Candle holders: Belks
Hydrangeas from the garden
Stainless flatware: American Harmony by Oneida

                    




38 comments:

  1. like that you used your gmother's lace and ribbon for napkin rings- very personal. the plaid does look good with the blue willow- much more laid back. also liked the napkins laid at an angle and overlapping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anita! Oh, I love your pretty tablescape! Now I love Blue Willow and have a big set of it too. I need that coffee server! :) The blue does look so pretty with green. I really like what you did with the napkins and those hydrangeas - oh my, they're totally beautiful!!
    Great job, sweet friend and hope it's warming up in your area.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;0

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blue willow, green and yellows are all so pretty Anita! Your table is very festive and ready to go!~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anita, I love blue and green together. Of course I love the blue and white china. I am always drawn to blue glasses when I am out shopping, but trying to not buy much blue for the house anymore. I use to have a lot of blue. Blue furniture, blue in the kitchen wallpaper, blue glasses and on and on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it, Anita! I think this is a great looking tablescape, and I think the blue willow worked well for St. Patrick's day. I like it because it is unexpected, and yet it goes so well with the green. Great job!

    XO,

    Sheila :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anita, your table is absolutley gorgeous! I love blues & greens together. it is my favorite combination.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful table and I love blue and green. Looks so nice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous. I love the blue and green together and the plaid placemats really do tie the whole thing together. I think you can use Blue Willow any time, it is always perfect. Your blue glasses, the flowers, just everything is so pretty. Love it all. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  9. HELLO ANITA,
    I JUST LOVE THE WAY YOUR TABLE LOOKS SOOO BEAUTIFUL!!!! AHHHH HOW MANY TIMES I HAVE SEEN THE BEAUTIFUL MORROW OF MY LITTLE ISLAND, THANKS FOR SHARING, NOW IM HOME SICK FOR MY TINY ISLAND....LOL!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a striking color combination that isn't seen very often! Beautifully done, Anita & I agree, the natural light really sets off the dishes & glasses. Very, very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi anita, your table looks beautiful!! I love the blue willow....Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful table setting, love the combo of blue and green together.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just love blue and green together and you made it beautiful,

    ReplyDelete
  14. I adore blue and green together! I love your blue goblets! Joni

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love it! Lovely combo! My collection of blue willow is growing. Our market is selling them as a special every week. Good way to collect a little at a time...and sneak them in with the groceries!
    Such a pretty table..Soon the hydrangeas will bloom so we have the fresh gorgeous blues again!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the placemats. Beautiful! The blue just makes the table to me. It is the star.

    ReplyDelete
  17. HI Anita! Another beautiful table! The picture of the sky and ocean was gorgeous too! I loved the look both ways: with the sun shining in and with the candle light! Happy St. Patrick's!!!! XO, Pinky PS, I will be posting a little later....have to get on my hubby's computer to upload:):)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am such a fan of blue and white and I love your St. Pat's table!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I absoulutly love your blue cups and candle holders! Mixed together with the green, makes it perfect! Beautiful tablescape!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like all the blues in your tablescape, Anita. And you're right about blue and green, it's a great combo.I like your cobalt blue goblets a lot and of course your plates are classically beautiful...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anita, blue and green are my favorite color combination...your table is one of my favorites. Those napkins are perfect used as a table runner. The candle holders, I just love.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, beautiful table! I used Blue Willow this week too! This is a great combo with the blue and green~
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love blue and green together too--it makes me think of ociean water!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I adore blue & green together. My family room is done is china blue & apple green. So you know I'm droolng over this table. Those candle sticks are so beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anita...your table is beautiful! I love that you used what you had to create such a wonderful tablesetting. Love those napkin ties! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I saved some notes on your blog today so that I could shamelessly copy the ideas! I like the way you created a "runner" out of little napkins.
    Beautiful table!

    Scribbler
    http://scribbler-unfocused.typepad.com/

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love your blue willow!!! The table runner is so creative and cute. I like your blues and greens together. Love the blue candles all around and the hydrangeas. I really love your tablescape - great job!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Anita,

    I love the idea of using Blue Willow for St. Patrick's Day! You incorporated the greens beautifully with the placemats and the pretty lace/fabric napkin ties. It looks fresh and original. I agree that the table looks its most beautiful with the natural light streaming in. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  29. The blue and green look fabulous together and of course, Blue Willow is such a classic. I love the dark blue goblets and the place mats that tie everything together. And I love how everything looks by candlelight! Beautiful!

    xoxo
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  30. oh dear, i'm hopeless. i just whooshed past
    all your beautiful table setting that i need to
    learn how to do...

    just to tell you how excited i am to find a
    fellow worshipper!

    you are the only one i know in blog world.

    all these artists that i can admire but can't
    replicate.

    you do both! no fair!!!

    blessings on your worship,
    lea

    ReplyDelete
  31. The table is beautiful, love the stemware it is so beautiful, love the blue and green, it really pops, love the way you put it all together, it is a beautiful room...Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  32. ♥WHT A LOVELY BLOG,I ENJOYED SO MUCH READ SUM OF THE POSTS,CONGRATS.A GREAT SATURDAY AND GOD BLESS♥

    ReplyDelete
  33. HELLO ANITA...I GOT A GIFT FOR YOU IN MY BLOG,I MADE A PERSONAL SIGNATURE WITH UR NAME,HOPE U LIKE IT.IT IS IN MY LINKS PAGE,U SCROLL DOWN AND SAVE UR SIGTAG.HUGS.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I really,really love that tablescape...just the touch of green is so refreshing and what a wonderful way to do St. Patrick's w/o overdoing it. I didn't do a Tablescape this week, but just visiting a few of my fave tablescape friends.

    Holly
    504 Main

    ReplyDelete
  35. Your blue willow collection is gorgeous! I just bought that same stemware over Christmas (it was one of my presents! :), and love it! I don't do alot of blue either, but it goes w/ my 'other gifts'! Hope ya'll are thawing out up there in the mountains.

    ReplyDelete
  36. What a lovely table Anita! The Blue Willow looks very nice with the green. I love Blue Willow and have been slowly collecting it since I was 18. I agree, you can dress it up or down. I used it for our Christmas dinner this year in a formal setting.

    ~ Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  37. EXQUISITE!!! Just beautiful!

    (After you create these gorgeous tablescapes, do you have to wash all those dishes and put them away? Just want to know...I'm such a pragmatist. Sorry.)

    ReplyDelete
  38. This is "GORGEOUS"... I LOVE,LOVE,LOVE it!!! It's refreshing and timeless and JUST Perfect. St Paddy would LOVE it too. I'm also in love with your table, the texture of it is wonderful. It is particularly my style. I am going from one of your scapes to another and just having the BEST time. I would be honored to be a guest at all these occasions...

    ReplyDelete