Join me as I embrace and share truly authentic American country style by reclaiming the past...my family's past. Come along as I make my house a home on a $0 budget with reclaimed, repurposed, recycled and found treasures all out of my grandparent's old house, local junk shops and my parent's attic. And since we have to eat too, I'll sprinkle in some gardening, country recipes, and a whole lot of southern hospitality.

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Black and Brown...

Happy Tablescape Thursday everyone! Thanks to Susan at Between Naps on the Porch for hosting.



I am just "not that into" Halloween! I love jack-o-lanterns and all that, but there's beyond too much blood and gore for me. Plus, it just doesn't go with my lifestyle.  All that said, I decided to use black and brown this week. I was looking for something different and came across a scarf my mom had given me and thought it would make a fabulous runner. So I paired it with my vintage Hull and McCoy "Brown Drip" but in a different way than before.  This one is definitely outside my box, but I wanted to use things I have here and be creative.




A lot of these plates are all different sizes, but they work so well in a casual setting.  Same pumpkins and gourds I have had the last three weeks, just on the plate rack.



Love the black placemats! Finally I'm using placemats!













This is the scarf my mom gave me. I just love the combination of brown and black.




















There you have it! Brown and black!

20 comments:

  1. Elevating your pumpkins & gourds on the tiered rack made for a very nice centerpiece...especially on top of that lovely scarf.
    I want to know if you had to climb a ladder to get those over head shots! (I used a step-stool) LOL GREAT perspective from that angle & a great all around TT, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anita, I had that exact same set of dishes fromm when we got matried (41 years ago)!!!!! I GAVE IT AWAY a few years ago......and now could KICK myself! I wish I had it back. Yours is beautiful and I love how you paired it with black! The scarf/runner is just beautiful, and SO special as it is a gift from your Mother! Hope you'll come see my table! HAPOY, (not guolish) Halloween! XO, Pinky

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anita, I absolutely love your tablescape. It is perfect for fall. And your bench! Be still my heart! I'm in love with that piece and the fabric on it.

    I have some similar ceramic gourds and things which I put on some little shelves in the center of my library table, and I like how you've put yours on the tiered stand. I also like the wooden candlesticks you used, the brown used with the black, and the whole tablescape. It has such a relaxed yet sophisticated sensibility to it. Great job! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello! i adore the black & brown, & those placemats! have a lovely day!! kind thoughts

    p.s i love the name of your blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your table is so warm and inviting. Thanks for sharing and have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So warm and cozy, I like it.
    Has a real primative pilgrim feel to it for Fall, nice!!
    Linda Q

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now that was clever Anita...I love the scarf idea for a table runner....I have a beautiful one from Spain a teacher gave me last year when she went there, it will be perfect for a X-mas table scape! Thanks for sharing:) Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very well put together! It enhances the table without distracting from the food. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your tablescape. Your runner is particularly beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those placemats caught my eye. Your bench....love! SO nice, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your table still has a Halloween feeling without being all "Halloweeny". It's great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anita, your table settings and pics are getting better and better. What does your family think of you playing with the dishes. My husband laughs when I change things around. That scarf is beautiful and makes the perfect runner. Love the pumkins on the tiered stand. Look forward to more amazing settings...Kim

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVE the Black and brown colour combo for fall! It looks so rich and warm! That table scarf is gorgeous and goes nicely with the placemats. Your brown dishes look great with the pumpkins.

    DD

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love all your "brown drip", never get tired of seeing it. You must have hundreds of pieces. The table scarf goes perfect with the dishes...and those candle holders, I adore.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your table is just beautiful. I'm not all that into Halloween either so I really appreciate your statement. I love your brown and black together. And those tall candle holders... beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your brown drip -- this is a perfect table for some wonderful fall soup!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this even better than the other time you used the brown ware stuff--Oh everything is so very nice!!

    http://spindlecottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very pretty! Looks wonderful with the black!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi! You are not going to believe this...but...I have been collecting Brown Drip for about 5 years..love it...my Mother in Law also has a pot load of it...so we "swap". AND I think we have the SAME flatware! Oneida....?? I was searching for Brown Drip...in my search engine..and your site came up...I just finished setting my table for a "carbo-load" dinner for my husband..and some friends..he is doing a 1/2 marathon tomorrow...so Past is the dish! Wish I could send you pix. Anyway...Love your site..and you must have a million different patterns..oh...AND...I collect Friendly Little Village and I am planning to use it this at our church's Christmas Tea this year....wow...soooooo I will be copying your table in some ways...thanks!!

    Sonya Abner
    Hoschton, GA

    ReplyDelete